Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Cold, Crisp Saturday Morning


Greetings Readers

I have to state that this Colorado morning was a bit crisp - and cold. There was some snow on the ground this morning that fell through the night and cold enough for the snow not to melt. Enough to make everything white, but the snow is not accumulating at all. About noon - the temp is about 21 degrees where I live and just flurries are falling

I made some pinto beans last night and the beans cooked through the night. So, when I got up this morning I was able to eat without going through the process of actually cooking. But not right away. For the pinot beans I just made - nothing fancy this time. I decided that I want to have some sour dough bread with my beans. Though, I did not want to leave the house, but I also did not want to have just beans.

I grabbed my Lycra biking long pants, windbreaker (with just a t-shirt underneath), Thinsulate gloves, bandanna, and the ever so infamous Natalie Merchant Stocking cap and proceeded to head to King Soopers. When I stepped onto the sidewalk where the snow had melted there was a thin coat of ice. So, that meant there was probably ice under the snow that was covered up. I had already decided to use the road bike that got the nice comments this week.

Sure, I have that one mountain bike that is hanging out on the patio. But, that meant that I had to lift that heavy bike down from the patio. Yes, the bike is heavy compared to all my other road bikes. Yet, the mountain bike does have wider tires and knobs that help with traction in the snow. But in truth I was making excuses so I do not have to take the heavy bike down from the patio as opposed to wheeling out the road bike from the hallway.

Also, I want to also go fast as I could, without falling, so I elected to use my road bike. As I rode into the crisp morning dawn I was paying mind to the biking gods. Going down hill I was being careful not to go too fast, on the non-pavement the grass was slick so I was being mindful. On the way to the store I ran into my neighbor walking to the store where we works and I shop. I slowed a bit made small talk and then of course he asked me "Why aren't using your mountain bike?" "Aren't those skinny tires dangerous on this type of surface?"

I did not argue nor explain myself, but laughed and said I was in a hurry. I have pinto beans waiting for some sour dough bread and that is my meal for this morning. (not to mention all day).

And that was that.

This past week was a tough week so when I got home last night - I made a quick meal and then headed straight for bed. I was tired, my eyes were hurting, my brain was exhausted and I was sort of physically tired from the week. No - not due to working out. Though my body is getting more tight. Woo hoo. I have to say that I now like walking around in the nude (But not all the time!) Yep readers. I will admit that nor is that embarrassed about that. I guess I have more confidence with me working out for the past 3 months. I do not think that I have anything to be ashamed about =)

Not to mention the changes that I have seen in my body. I also have been losing some of that extra little fat in the mid section when I retired. Yes I gained a few pounds when I retired a year or so ago. Noticeable to me, but now almost all that little "extra" weight has disappeared. I do have bigger pecs (bigger than I first started), biceps have some definition in the back of the arms and on my back muscles. The calves look the same, but I have not really focused on that part since I get that from riding. I am still slender.

Well, that should be all for now and since I have made the decision to stay at home I should be able to have a good blog for tomorrow. I plan to mess with my new Ipod and watch some movies all day so I should not be that bored.

And the picture is of me going out this morning.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: