Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Continued - Ivan Basso and others

Greetings Readers.

I just pulled some info from www.yahoo.com and I see that "this" Ivan Basso news I blogged about yesterday was just recent news in the world. I guess I just stumbled on this by accident the other day. Here is the article from AP that basically gives the low down on Ivan Basso...

Discovery team releases Basso
April 30, 2007

ROME (AP) -- Italian cyclist Ivan Basso quit the Discovery Channel team after Italian authorities reopened an investigation into his role in a Spanish doping scandal.
Less than two weeks before he was slated to defend his Giro d'Italia title, Basso asked to be released immediately from his contract during a meeting Sunday with Discovery officials, the team said in a statement Monday.
"This was a very difficult decision, for me and my family, but I think it is the right thing to do," Basso said. "The team is trying to find a new sponsor and win bike races, and my situation is a distraction to both of those goals. It is important that everyone knows this was 100 percent my decision."
Basso is scheduled to appear Wednesday before the Italian Olympic Committee on charges of having used or attempted to use a banned substance or method. The Discovery team already had suspended Basso from riding last week.
"Ivan's request was unexpected and he was very emotional, but adamant, about his decision to be released," Discovery director Johan Bruyneel said. "We spoke with him at length before granting his request."
The Giro, one of cycling's three premier tours, begins May 12.
The 29-year-old cyclist was one of 50 riders implicated in last year's Spanish doping scandal, Operation Puerto, which led to his exclusion from the 2006 Tour. His name appeared on a list of cyclists who allegedly had contact with a Spanish doctor accused of running a blood doping clinic in Madrid.
Italian investigators reportedly have obtained bags suspected to contain Basso's blood and want to compare them with his DNA. This month, a DNA sample of 1997 Tour de France champion Jan Ullrich was matched to blood bags seized in the scandal. The now-retired German has denied using any banned substances.
On Monday, the Italian daily Gazzetta dello Sport reported another 49 cyclists were implicated in new documents stemming from the Spanish investigation.
The Gazzetta also suggested American rider Tyler Hamilton, who recently completed a two-year ban for doping, and German rider Joerg Jaksche would be suspended by their team, Tinkoff. However, Tinkoff team manager Omar Piscina said the report was false.
"We have no intention of suspending Hamilton or Jaksche. We haven't received any sort of notice from the authorities, and nobody is investigating them as far as we know," Piscina said.
Piscina said he was aware the Spanish investigation could escalate.
"If (the Giro organizers) tell us that some of our riders can't ride in the Giro, then the team will make a decision," Piscina said. "All of the teams that have riders mentioned are watching with great interest to see what develops."
Basso repeatedly has denied doping and was cleared of involvement by the Italian Olympic Committee and the Italian cycling federation last October.
Despite the clearance, Basso left his former team CSC by mutual agreement in October.
Like Ullrich, Basso was one of the few riders able to challenge Lance Armstrong in the mountains during the American's stretch of seven straight Tour de France victories. Basso finished third in the 2004 Tour and was runner-up in 2005.
Basso has not won any races since joining Discovery.
Discovery, Armstrong's former team, signed the Italian last November and expected him to make a strong bid to win this year's race.
"When we signed Ivan, all the necessary governing authorities had cleared him," Discovery team general manager Bill Stapleton said. "He deserved a team, and we had always wanted to sign him. We did our due diligence, and we have no regrets."
Stapleton said he expects Discovery to made a strong run at the Tour even without its top rider.
"We have great depth and talent on our roster. We will continue to win and be competitive in all of our races, including the Tour De France," Stapleton said.
Last week, Armstrong said American Levi Leipheimer might move into Basso's spot on the team.

AP Sports Writer Jim Vertuno in Austin, Texas contributed to this report.

Interesting article, I think. Sort of interesting that these "new" documents have named/suggested Hamilton. Hamilton, as we know readers (that is a picture of him on today's blog), has been out of cycling for the past two years. Tyler is/was a local athlete in Colorado so I do see his name in the paper every now and then. Well, more in the past than recently. Tyler fought long and hard against being banned, but it was a wasted effort. I am not saying that he was guilty or not guilty, but what can you really do?

During my cycling season and off season, any medication I take or shots I might need for whatever reason I write down in my cycling log. That way if I ever, ever get tested for substances then I will be able to provide the necessary info. Granted, I have no clue what tests and what chemicals will show up a lot or a little, but with me/anyone saying I did not take "drugs" well those are dime a dozen. If this should happen then well there is nothing that you really can do.

I know that we Americans live by "we are innocent until proven guilty", but the actions of Tyler fighting the IOCC and any other cycling organization was a wasted effort, even though he wanted to be cleared of the charges. Do I believe him? It does not matter. What the tests showed - was the substance found was listed is among the banned substance list. I just hope that Tyler was not associated with this new investigation while he was suspended. I think the next charge after the two year ban - is a lifetime ban. But again I can not remember.

Though, the good news for him is that Tyler was able to compete in the Tour De Georgia just recently. I have no idea how he is doing/or did, but I hope that he was able to find a team to join and yes I hope to see him in the Tour de France. Yes, he was spectacular in those unique times in the past and I was behind him. But, let us see if he took the time off to heart or did he really just take a "break" from cycling all together. If he does a good showing I think any team will overlook the 2 year ban that Tyler Hamilton was issued.

In a recent medical condition, I had to use some type of steroid that was listed as a banned substance. Luckily, this was used after my biking season ended last year and only had to use the steroid for two months or so. Yes, it was a matter of retaining something and the amount of the steroid use was minute, but I had no choice. This was a career breaker, not to mention a life-breaker for me. My doctor and pharmacist have given me the go ahead to release their number in case I come up positive, on the steroid I took, on a substance test this year in my cycling or running events in the event I get tested. I am sure that the steroid is way out of my system, but who know how long the drug stays in the system, left over residual amounts, or how sensitive the tests are. I do not know.

My fellow readers, sorry that this blog is not my usual banter, but I had to write about this since my "official" cycling season is about to start and the professional biking season is well under way with the Tour de France right around the corner. I thought I would blog on this so I can satisfy my other following or readers regarding the cycling world.

Do I have a favorite for this year? Nope! I do not have a fucking clue who to follow for the Tour de France for 2007. I have Alexander Vinokouv (oops forgot how spell his name) Andreas Kloden and a couple of other riders. For the tour last year I did not have a clue either, since the scandal broke the week before and my favorite - Jan Ullrich had withdrawn. I do not know if Alexander V. is even competing.

until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: