Friday, May 25, 2007

Another Fallen Athlete in 2007

Greetings Readers

Very, very interesting news from a former Tour de France winner (Pictured - Bjarne Riis). I just read the article on Yahoo.com and I see that this former winner admitted that he took banned substances. He further goes on to say that the jersey he won is in a cardboard box and not being displayed.


"My jersey is at home in a cardboard box," said Riis, now manager of the CSC team. "They are welcome to come and get it. I have my memories for myself."

He is also okay with the Tour de France to take back the jersey and do whatever needs to be done.

I guess why this impacts me so much is that the jersey is in a cardboard box. Biis knew how he won the jersey and knows that he really did not earn that jersey without "cheating". I am not going to talk about that part, but the visual of seeing that jersey in a box. Sort of sad, but in a sense that is exactly the thing that I would do. Sad, in a sense, that I can really feel for Biis. I hope that if he had any "weight on his shoulders" then the burden has been lifted. As for his status, does not matter either way. Keep it or strip it? Only the appropriate person(s) will make that decision. I hope the best for you Biis.

Thinking more and more about this new news it does make sense since this was the time that the Tour was being rocked by scandals. Though that is purely subjective.


Ivan Basso has been banned from racing for 21 months, if I read the news articles correctly.

Readers, do not forget the French Open - starts Sunday. Except without Martina Hingis...

"...
Switzerland's Martina Hingis, who has a hip injury."

I am looking at the Women's Draw and there are a few names that I do not see. Then, I see Ivanovic, Peer, Kuznetsova, Henin, the Williams sisters, Dementieva Vaidisova & Srebotnik to name a few.

Okay readers, time for to wrap it up and let you guys and gal enjoy a 3 day weekend, if that may be the case. I am not sure that I will be on the net, but if I do I will make sure to post a blog.

Until the next time readers.

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: