Wednesday, May 02, 2007

1/2 Clay 1/2 Grass Tennis Court

Greetings Readers

Before starting the topic of the Tennis Court...

Boy oh boy, I really got a foot-hold on the M&M issue and I also sort of included some other information pertaining to that issue, in general. Isn't it amazing how a subject sometimes does not come together as an idea, but as soon as you start writing about the issue the pieces start to come together like a puzzle. Ideas were coming like a raging waterfall. I found myself starting to explore other aspects of the issue and had to restrain myself from going off on a tangent. I have to admit, sure it is a topic not even worth getting "worked up" about, but sure as shit got me going. My unstated motto is if something gets you thinking go with it - you perhaps might find something more about it than you ever thought about it. Anyway,...

I think, I should be ready for me to post to tomorrow's blog.

The picture that graces my blog today is the half clay and half grass tennis court that was built on a Spain Island and an exhibition match was played today, Wednesday. The match was between Roger Federer and Raphael Nadal.

I do not know how I really feel about this concept. I can not say this, as an old co-worker would say, an "awesome" idea, but unique and made me go Hmmmm. Tennis as we know it is either played on Clay, Hard or Grass surface. I mean why make a 1/2 Grass and 1/2 Clay court? I can only see the benefit of this by making the playing field "even" between both players. As in the case with Nadal - superb Clay court player. Federer - a phenomenal Grass court player. Yet, in this match I think that each player would be even.

I do not have any pros or cons regarding this "new" concept, but just thinking from the top of my head - I do not like the idea of this. I do not have a concrete reason why nor any reasons why I dislike the idea. I guess thinking about it more now - and subconsciously, I think, why I do not care for this - is if I were on this tennis court my line of sight and peripheral vision would be thrown out of whack due to the contrast of the clay and grass court at mid court. Then again I/the tennis player might not be affected at all. Who knows.

Yes, I would like to see one game on that sort of surface to see how each player acts and reacts to the ball going from one side to another. I guess I am "old school" and believe in Tennis should now forever be on one of the three whole type of surfaces. None of this 1/2 and 1/2. Next thing you know they will change the outer courts to another type and soon the courts could be 1/4 this 1/4 that 1/2 some of this. hah hah. If this is an effort to "spice" up Tennis I think that USTA better reconsider this idea.

Is there a women's match scheduled or was this court mainly build for the two best players on each surface? If so, that was shallow thinking on everyone's part.

Two years ago, I embraced the color changing of the hard courts. I was pretty impressed with the "blue" color of the hard court and I have to admit the color is a lot better than green. Now, no big deal, but I still look forward to summer play in the tournament that surrounds the blue court playing that could determine a higher payout at the US Open should you win the Blue court tennis series.

Now if you are a Spiderman fan I guess we have two more days until the web slinger is back. Yes, I am excited, but not pumped to see the movie the first day. I heard that the movie is dark, so that is something to look forward to. All those other movie goer have to realize movie are not always happy. I have to admit the darkest movies are always the best.

until
the next time readers

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: