Monday, May 14, 2007

Garage Sale-ing this Weekend

Greetings Readers

Well, as the title of the blog states, me and my mother went to the Saturday garage sales in the local South of Denver area. Of course, we brought along our driver, my father-her husband. Saturday was a nice day to do the Garage sales. We have not done this together for about two years and since this past weekend was Mother's Day this was something that she/we wanted to do. We decided to switch Sunday to Saturday and that way it was her day.

Not much was out there, but we did find some of this and some of that. Granted, there were some items that I wanted, but I was not going to pay that amount that they wanted the item(s) for. It is a garage sale. I can not tell how many of those Garage sale operators wanted this amount and they won't budge. Sorry, their loss. I always offer half or some lower price if I think I can get the price I want. Yes, there are some times when the price is right and I will paid the price with no haggling at all.

We got out the door about 7:00 AM and started the day with a quick stop at McDonald's. Hah hah. Not the same one that I had my "almost" incident last week. Dang 2 McDonald's visits in two days and before that it must of been 6 months since my last visit to McDonald's.

Anyway, we started going to visit the garage sales about 7:20 AM and we had followed two signs, but they were not even set up. So, we pulled over in an empty strip mall parking lot and had our breakfast while we waited for the clock to strike 8:00 AM. We were surprised that people were not set up at 7:00 AM. Perhaps the garage sale season has not started. Who knows.

There was not a bargain that I can blog about that I was excited about. I did buy some old cassette tapes, computer games, and misc this and that. There were a lot of TV that looked good, but I was not going to pay 50 dollars for a 12 inch TV. I do not care if it is a TV/VCR combo.
I did find a camper's backpack for my brother. I would keep the backpack for myself since the "Dos Equis" logo is on the bag. But, I guess I better give it to him since he does use this sort of equipment. And if I were to keep the backpack, it would be for display.

Now on Sunday, there was this new restaurant that opened up the road from me called "Oscar's Smokehouse and Saloon". Every time that I rode by the restaurant I can smell the good aroma emulating from the place. So, I decided to take my parents to the place for lunch. I also wanted to eat there since I love BBQ.

The place was empty at 3:00 PM. Our waiter was a Mexican guy and his dialect needed some work. He asked my mother

"What would you like to read?"

My mom says "read?"

"What would you like to drink?" Our waiter says a bit more clearly. Yes, me and my father thought that was what he also said to her.

From there our Oscar's visit went downhill.

We could hardly understand what he was saying throughout the visit. I asked what came with the meals. Of course the waiter points to the menu and reads off what I just read. I then asked

"Does anything else come with the meal that is not listed? Salad? Bread?"

"No...." mumble. Mumble. our waiter mumbles.

I look at my Dad and he looks at me and we just knew that asking anything more was just wasting our breath. We could not understand our waiter and to ask him to repeat again is going to piss him off or make him nervous.

Flashback - Before we even got into the Smokehouse. There is this life size cow plastic statue that is in front of the restaurant. Yes, I see the connection. But! Readers. The cow status was a fucking Dairy cow (black and white) statue. Yes, there was a "hefty" Udder ready to be milked. I would like to say that anybody who is anybody would know that a Dairy cow can not be associated to a smokehouse. Of course, the average Joe would thought to themselves "that is pretty cool. A cow in front of a smokehouse" However, my first reaction was why do they have a dairy cow in front of smokehouse? Smokehouse/BBQ meat comes from other types of cows, such as our Black Angus cows that we raise, not a dairy cow. So readers keep that in mind - a dairy cow does not belong in front of a smokehouse. I guess that a diary cow could be associated to the butter that is served with bread.

Returning to the restaurant experience - Me and my father ordered the combo and my mother got the "hot links" platter. Two coffees and and Iced Tea. Well, we made the waiter nervous before and up to the point of ordering. Perhaps he was thinking that we would be like "dairy cows" come in, sit down, order, eat, and go. Not this Family! We are accustom to asking questions and basically getting things our way, within limits of course....

Readers, my time is up so I had to stop here. I will have to pick the conclusion tomorrow...

Hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day.

until the next time readers.

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: