Thursday, October 15, 2009

Wal-Mart Repo's

Greetings Readers

When I was on my short vacation last month I heard a story that really was pretty impressive.

As perhaps most of my Readers know that times are a bit tough these days. Jobs are hard to find and to get since there are now about over 300 people, 300 qualified people applying for the same job in Corporate America.

Now, I do not know the effects of getting a job at a restaurant or fast food place since I do practically see “we’re hiring” signs every week.

As well as trying to find a job, the cost of food as risen. I cannot believe that I actually am buying a 12 pack of Coca-Cola for $ 4.00 at King Soopers or Safeway. Those stores have actually equaled the 12-pack price at a convenience store. It used to be that the convenience store price was much higher that the grocery store’s price.

However, I have found that some things have not gone up, but actually down in price. Of course we can account that to supply and demand.

With that little intro - my Mother informed that Wal-Marts in the New Mexico area that are located in the middle of nowhere had become a haven for repo men / women. For example, there are Wal-marts in Gallup and Grants, New Mexico. Depending on your point of view on Wal-Marts these Wal-Mart’s have destroyed the small businesses in these towns due to Wal-Mart being able to offer prices lower than their competitors.

Now, either the consumers are forced to shop at Wal-Mart or will shop at Wal-Mart since there is a Wal-mart. Again, depending on your point of view of a Wal-Mart in a small town this is either good or bad.

Getting to the point of the blog. Apparently, not too long ago a person and/or their family went to Wal-Mart to shop.

When they came out their vehicle was gone. Repossession.

Now, I know it is sad, but in reality if you are not paying your car payments then by all means the financial institution can repossess your car.

Obviously, when the repossessions first started by that one repo man / woman it soon became good knowledge to tell other repo people on how they could recover the vehicle(s). Just wait at the local Wal-mart, which is what they did. Apparently, tow trucks and repo people waited at Wal-Mart.

My mom did not tell me the actual procedure of what the repo people did. I do not know if she knew at all. That is not the point.

When I initially heard this story I was pretty impressed. Meaning, yes it was smart for the repossession people to figure out a way to get a vehicle back. It was sad to hear the people who did go into Wal-mart and then come out only to find their vehicle gone was sad, but remember this would not have happened if they made their car payments.

Apparently, this tactic was getting good results for the repo people, but I guess something happened and the Navajo Nation got involved with only the Wal-Marts that were upon Navajo Nation land.

Now, the repo people are not allowed to use this tactic upon Navajo Nation land where there is a Wal-Mart located on.

I do not have an opinion if that was good that the Navajo Nation interceded. However, what got me thinking was how many other places in farmland America is this happening where the Navajo Nation is not located. What is to stop these repossessions from taking place?

Are the repossession people similar to Bail Bondsman? Both parties need to protect themselves from being out their money in a manner of speaking. The Financial institution wants its vehicle back since the buyer has not been making payments, which is valid. The Bail Bondsman wants to make sure that he/she gets their client to court for putting up a bond for their client.

Anyway Readers, what I just wrote is about all I know and heard about the repossessions of vehicles at Wal-Marts where they are the only place that is known and cheap to other small businesses in those small towns in New Mexico located on the Navajo Nation.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: