Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Breaking the Law

Greetings Readers

Now, I got that Judas Priest song stuck in my head now - "breaking the law, breaking the law.".

I have never claimed to be 100 percent perfect in all ways of my bike life, my knowing the rules and obeying the guidelines. Yet, I do give myself a hand on some things which I know I am almost perfect at on bike knowledge.

Such is the time to tell you faithful Readers that I am breaking the Colorado law everyday.

I can not remember the official listing and I think it is under C.R.S. 42-4-1002 (or perhaps C.B.S. -Colorado Bicycle Statutes, under number 10 - letter (d):

(10)

(a) A person riding a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian.

(b) A person shall not ride a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk where such use of bicycles is prohibited by official traffic control devices or local ordinances.

(c) A person riding or walking a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall have all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances.

(d) A person riding a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk shall dismount before entering any roadway and, when crossing any such roadway, shall observe all the rules and regulations applicable to pedestrians.

So, there you have it Readers I have to say that I do not dismount before entering any roadway.

Another flaw that you can check mark under my name - sorry Readers.

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: