Tuesday, December 09, 2008

My Piñon Roasting

Greetings Readers

Roasting Piñons.

Oh Readers the definition of Piñon (Webster 1989) – 1. Any of various pines, esp. of the Southern Rocky Mountain region, bearing large edible seeds. 2. the seed.

As I said in my last post I am far from being a Piñon roasting and salting expert (A god), but damn it I was going to try on Sunday, which is my first weekend since being back in Colorado. After all, I have about ¾ Gallon zip lock bag full of Piñons. Even though I replaced the Piñons we roasted I still had a very full bag of Piñons. Apparently, that 40-dollar zip lock bag was stuffed to maximum capacity of Piñons.

Anyway, I have that many Piñons to experiment with and practically a full day to make myself learn and perfect Piñon Roasting and Salting.

I had a clue from what my mother and me did together and from what I saw my dad did. Also, I learned some new information from my Dad’s sister about roasting and salting. With that information I was going to use that knowledge to roast Piñons on my own for the very first time. Unsupervised, and no way to call for help I was determined to do this roasting on my own.

After all, I am the one that can cook.

Sunday morning I got “the tools” that I needed for roasting and salting and turned on the television to what I saw in the TV guide I got in the Sunday’s paper that was just about to start – Bring it On.

Who does not like this comedy? I think goes down with the classic comedy movies. With lines like this – “Cheertator!” ”That’s all right. That’s okay. You’ll be pumping our gas someday” “Touched by an angel.” “Go Toros” etc.

Anyway, I was ready to start my ambitious project and I was destine not to fail.

I cleared all counters and had everything lain out on all counters. Pans, cooking mittens, 4 gold dollar coins, and the zip lock bag of raw Piñons. Salt, Cast Iron Skillet, strainer, dish clothes and a couple of other items.

The first batch I got started, which was the hardest and the easiest since this was my first time going solo on Piñon roasting.

Roughly an hour later things were going like clockwork. While I was roasting one Piñon Batch I was salting another batch, and I was rinsing another batch, and I was testing another batch for done-ness – all at the same time. I started to lose count and time of roasting and what not. So that is when I has to use the dollar coins, on top of that using my G shock watch stopwatch / timer and the clock on the wall to make sure that I am not over roasting (or not roasting enough) to make sure I was not shorting myself five minutes. Though sometimes I forgot to reset my timer on my watch so at times more than 5 minutes elapse here and there.

I was able to watch TV, but was very limited since I was doing all steps at once and I had to be very, very careful not to over roast a batch of Piñons.

About 5 hours later I was done with Roasting and Salting. And I have to say that the last batch I made was “da bomb.” Meaning, I roasted and salted to perfection. I fucking nailed roasting to a tee. And I really did not destroy a batch of Piñons, which I was afraid that I thought I was going to do no matter what. After all, if I over roast a batch I was going to force myself to eat the over roasted batch, since I did pay a lot of money for the Piñons.

The kitchen was a mess – counter tops were covered in hot pads, pans, and dried up salt was everywhere. And then near the edge of the counter was a nice pile of empty and cracked Piñon shells that I was tasting and eating all throughout the roasting process. And that pile was pretty big. First of all, I did not think I tasted and ate that many Piñons, but apparently I did. But, I hardly made a dent in my Piñon Stash.

After all said and done I was pretty happy about myself. Yes Readers, tooting my own horn once more. Then, a few seconds later I thought about how much money I could make by selling my stash in those little zip lock bags. Oh yeah. My stash is what I now think of my Piñons. I could not put my Piñons back into the original Zip lock bag. I actually have my own Piñon jar, which basically is an empty Folgers Plastic container that is the net wt 34.5 oz container of coffee. The container says aroma seal so I am assuming that this will keep the Piñons airtight against the air. Boo yah.

Then, the other half of my brain kicked back in – no way I am selling my horde of Piñon nuts. I bought and roasted my own Piñons so departing with my Piñons I worked so hard to bring from New Mexico to Colorado and eventually roasted – I put in some serious time with my stash of piñons. I cannot sell my roasted Piñons.

I did give some of my freshly roasted batch of Piñons to three of my friends that I knew would care to have.

Oh the stories of them eating the Piñons were funny to listen to. I was just like someone on the Soprano’s perhaps. First bag is free then it will cost "a dime" a bag. Friend prices. Or just like Pulp Fiction “Choco” Anyway, I am glad they loved the free Piñons I gave and the smiles and the stories of how they ate my Piñons made me giving them some of stash priceless.

Matter of fact Readers, one of my friends had to listen to one of our friends eat their Piñons I gave to them. Anyway, my friend could hear our friend spitting out Piñons shells. It made her laugh since she could hear all day the spitting of Piñon Shells.

I guess, that is all I have to say about Piñons to you Readers. I hope you enjoyed my blog posts of Piñons.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: