Thursday, December 11, 2008

The King Soopers "Incident"

Greetings Readers

I do not think this is an incident, but I had to label this post an "incident."

I went to King Soopers to get some Coca-Cola and something for dinner. I walked almost all over the store trying to decide what I wanted for dinner and had a heck of a time trying to decide what I wanted to eat and make. I wanted steak, but that meant I would have to start the grill outside and all things associating to cooking on the grill. Well, I walked back and forth through the meats section. I would say about three to five minutes later I was walking with some chicken thighs to the baking supplies aisle. I wanted some Oven fry so I went to get that. I was going to cook the chicken in the oven to be done with it

After about 7 minutes or so I was done shopping and ready to check out.

I saw that there was a couple of check out lines open and one line that was finishing up. I elected to go to the 10 items or less line.

“Hi how are you?” she asked monotonously.

I smile “Fine. And you?”

“Fine.”

Now, this is where things perhaps get interesting in my life, from my point of view.

“Anything else?”

I spotted the newspaper shelf almost right across the 10 Items or less check out. And I remembered that I needed a paper.

Now, I did know I have two choices. There was not an only one choice in my view. 1. I walk over a grab a newspaper myself. Or 2. I do not go over and get the paper.

I chose the latter knowing that there was probably going to be “an issue.” I was asking for an issue, but in my mind I was not wrong. I was not right, but I considered the fate of what I was about to do and wanted to see how things transpire, play out.

“A paper please.”

She looks at me. I look at her. I decided not to walk over to get the paper. Technically, she was closer to the newspaper stand than I was.

About 5 to 10 seconds pass between us.

Now Readers, I know for a fact that when I need ice at any store, the cashier will most likely push a button (or buttons.) I do not know which, but irrelevant for this incident. The cashier will ring up the ice, I pay and then I grab the ice on my way out of the grocery store from the freezer in front of the store. The cashier does not normally scan the ice when no ice has been brought to the check out.

I figured, assumed, and actually knew that the cashier could ring up the purchase without scanning. Though I do agree that perhaps inventory control could be an issue. Though I do not know nor do I care.

What I do care about is that I am the customer.

“The paper.” I ask again

She points to the shelf. “Over there.”

“I know.” I replied not moving or dropping eye contact. “It is over there”

She looks at me saying nothing.

“You’re not going to get it for me?” I ask her

“No”

“Okay”

Another five seconds pass between us. Then, she turns and rings up the rest of my order and then I give her my Soopers card.

“Hmmm.” She says and then looks off in the distance not talking to me directly “That’s a new one.” And she says that just as a matter of fact and politely, showing no irritation.

“What’s that? You not helping the customer out” I responded just as nicely as she was talking to me. Condescending on both of our parts, but being very pleasant and nice about it.

“That someone has asked me to do something like that.”

“Really.” I responded with a smile on my face. Her face was just emotionless – not mad or happy. Unreadable.

I give her my money that was due and then she gives me my money back, which I say, “thank you.”

She does not say anything back.

No one was in line so it was still she and I. While I putting my money away and I would estimate that about 15 seconds have passed since the cashier saying “really.”

“Well, if you want that paper I can get it for you” she politely states in an off hand manner, but still polite as we both have been.

“No, that’s okay. I don’t want to bother you anymore than I have to” I politely respond to her.

She says one more thing, but I cannot remember, but basically she was telling me that she could get and ring the newspaper up for me, after the fact. At this point, don’t do me any favors. I was irate, but Readers I would agree none of this would have happened if I just walked over to get the paper. So no sense getting mad over what choices I saw when I wanted that newspaper.

Though, this could have been avoided if she had walked over to get a paper so she can scan the item.

What I did control was getting upset and perhaps making a scene about the not getting the Paper. There is a right and a wrong, but depends on your point of view. I am not writing to either get your support or feel bad for her for getting me to check out.

The blog post I just wrote I hope was sort of close to what was said, but I cannot remember word for word. What I remember is that the cashier and I were as polite as possible to each other and not getting into it.

Needless to say I did not get the paper so I lost “the battle.” I did and do feel that the cashier should have gotten my paper in order to ring up when I did indicate that I needed a paper. After all, I am a customer who does shop at King Soopers regularly and most of the time I do not have many “bad” visits to King Soopers.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: