Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Christmas Wish and A Christmas Miracle

Greetings Readers

Finally.

I got my Christmas wish on Sunday. That wish, and not a prayer, was for the Denver Broncos to lose to San Diego Chargers.

And this wish was possible since I have been listening to the news sportscasters on what the Broncos need to do in order to get into the Playoffs.

Flashback - Three weeks ago - the Denver Broncos were a shoo in for winning our division. After all, our division looked awful - there were no dominant records in our division. Yet, somehow the Broncos lead the division and the next close team to the Broncos was the San Diego Chargers. In my mind at that time I believed that the Broncos were going to go to the Playoffs.

With the possible combinations of what could happen for the Broncos not to make it seemed so unlikely - impossible.

Flashback - Two weeks ago - The Denver Broncos lost. I thought that perhaps I can believe in the Broncos not going to the Playoffs.

Flashback - One week ago - The Denver Broncos lose another game. Wow! I can really believe in the Broncos not making the Playoffs. After all I am talking about the Broncos. Nothing is ever set in stone with them. Nothing is normal for the Denver Donkeys... I mean the Denver Broncos.

One game left and it was the San Diego Chargers in San Diego. The Denver Broncos first meeting with the Chargers early in the season was controversial and we should have a record of a loss with them, but due to a fuck up on a call we won the game. With knowing that we really should have lost that game I knew that the possibility of losing to the Chargers was really great.

Even more so since everyone in Colorado knows that this coming game is the game that will determine whether or not the Broncos go to the Playoffs. With that sort of pressure and the Broncos I knew that this was going to go either way. And one thing that I could guarantee is that this game would not be a close game. The Broncos were either going to run away with the game or really lose the game. It would not come down to a field goal or a touchdown in the last quarter. Or the final minute of the game. That is not the Broncos style when there is something major on the line.

It is no secret that I do not want the Broncos to go to the Playoffs. I do not hate Mike Shanahan or the Broncos, but I just do not want them to go to the Playoffs. After all I have my teams - the Steelers and the Cowboys that I want to go to the Playoffs each year.

Present day - Sunday came and went and I did not even listen to the radio or turned the TV to see the game. I did not want to know or even to jinx the game. Yes "Jinx" - I tend to believe that I perhaps tune into a Broncos game I might be the Jinx that make them turn around a game and win or do good.

Monday morning came and I still had no clue who won. I did not turn on the news and honestly I did not want to know - yet. I went to the bus stop and then caught the bus to the Light Rail Station and then I saw the Newspaper machine. I did not see "Broncos" on the front page. Matter of fact from what I could see in the window of the newspaper machine had no Broncos at all.

Hmmm. Did they lose? I bet they did since if they won the Broncos would be front page news for the newspaper.

I got to work and then check Yahoo as I was getting ready for the day.

"...a historic collapse with Denver becoming the first team since divisional play started in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three games left."

Wow! I could, but could not fucking believe that the Broncos have earned another historic awful record in football. Leave it to the Broncos to do this. The one good thing for this Broncos lost to the Chargers this past Sunday is that this time there is not another going to be another awful record set in Super Bowl play should have the Broncos made it to the Super Bowl.

Oh - the Christmas Miracle - Mike Shanahan got Fired on 12/30/08. Fired!

P.S. I am happy, but not for the reason(s) you Readers are probably assuming. I will talk about this later.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: