Tuesday, December 02, 2008

My Cold Humble Abode & New Ipod

Greetings Readers

So, fresh from my vacation I am finally home and "fresh". Meaning, that I was able to sleep in my own bed and I was also able to say I am home once more and take a nice hot shower to wash away the after vacation essence. Whatever.

When I walked into my humble abode I heard the heater going. I left everything at the front door - meaning all my luggage, grabbed the television remote, turned on the TV and walked to the kitchen. I grabbed a bottle of beer from the refrigerator and popped the top and got ready to sit down and watch some WWE.

Well, as I was drinking my bottle of beer - end up to the ceiling - meaning the bottom of my bottle I felt the heater air. It was not hot. Matter of fact it was not warm. Cold air was blowing out of the vents.

I immediately stopped drinking, stopped what I was doing and smelled the abode. I smelled no gas, but I was immediately worried. I went to the furnace was located and felt, or not felt, any heat in that area. Usually that furnace you can feel the heat when the furnace is going. Oh Readers, I did not turn on any lights so I was in the area with no light. I slowly closed the door and could not see the pilot light that I see when the furnace is going (or not going.) As one of those favorite movie lines would be in the Big Lewboski "It was dark as a bull's tookis on a moonless night" or something to that line.

I did not want to "spark" anything or create a spark by static electricity. I thought, I smelled a little gas, but perhaps because I had it in mind that I was expecting to smell gas.

Damn. I turned off the heater, and left the heater off for about 5 minutes or so. I then turned on the heater hoping that the mercury switch does set off any gas I imagined I could smell (or perhaps not smell.) The heater went through the turning on process and then finally the furnace kicked in. Cold air continued to blow out. By the way Readers, the temperature gauge on the thermostat was pegged all the way to the left meaning it was darn cold than the Thermostat can register. Who knows how long the heater has been running. Am I going to have a high bill? How cold was it?

Fuck me. I grabbed the cordless phone, went out on the balcony and called for assistance. Again, this was done because I would think that the spark may come inside the handset as opposed to the base of the telephone. I do not know. I also opened some windows just to be safe.

Two hours later, the repair person shows up. I learned a lot from him on what type of furnace I have, how it works, how if there was a leak I would have definitely smelled gas. How if I missed the gas and when the mercury switch clicked on - I would not have a humble abode. Anyway, a piece was broken inside the furnace and that was the reason why that the furnace was blowing cold air. I do not have the pilot light, but some other type of lighting for the furnace.

So between getting home from vacation and the repair man showing up I was sitting on the couch with my heavy jean jacket on, my Natalie Merchant on my head, a blanket covering my legs and a beer between my legs watching WWE with the volume pretty low. Again Readers, I was not going to click anything just in case I may create a spark and blow myself up. What I found out after the repair person showed up I did not have a clue about and only knew what I have heard and seen on television, which was really nothing.

Oh, and in closing I bought another Ipod - Shuffle again and the same color as the other one - Gray. $ 42.00 dollars brand new, never use. A friend was selling the ipod as I agreed to buy. Just an impulse buy.

"Hi, my name is Daryl. And I am an Ipod buying addict."

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: