Monday, July 07, 2008

Tour de France 2008 - Day 3

Greetings Readers

Nine minutes - that's all it took readers for Phil to mention Mr. L.A. I had to laugh on the way he brought up L.A. and how most of his statement was incorrect, in a manner of speaking. Of course, we faithful Tour watchers knew what he was referring to, but to be corrected had to be a bit of embarrassing for Phil.

Once more I think that the stage was alright. Well, better than alright.

Let me give you the 4-1-1. I think, that many of you faithful readers know that I look out for the "little people" and root for the "underdog" or "wild card." Tis, my nature. I want a no name to upset the balance of the athletic world - regardless if it is a statement or pure fucking luck for him/her. When an unknown rises from the abyss, there has to be some sort of support for him/her. It could the only shining moment in their career. Then again, it could be the birth of athlete for everyone to know by first name.

As I was watching what I had taped yesterday I was excited for the four man breakaway who got away at the 0 kilometre mark. Matter of fact, I was happy that there were a couple of French men and all were no name riders in the four man breakaway.

One rider was on a mission from god, one got permission from the team to go ahead and stay in the breakaway and the other two I know not.

What we viewers got was a breakaway that was at one point 15 minutes ahead of the Peloton/ yellow jersey group in the stage. These four riders, to me ,were all taking turns up front setting the pace. Though what caught my eye was the rider that appeared to me to be the smallest rider or perhaps in the most aerodynamic position for riding "like the wind." Those were not "pedals of anger", but "yearning for glory" pedalling. I saw him riding like I do, or perhaps it was me riding like him. He was pedalling like the devil (by the way aren't we all waiting for the devil to show up this year?! hah hah) was on his ass. I would not say that he was throwing caution to the wind, but he knew what he needed to do in order to keep the breakaway in front of the peloton. And as if it was not possible towards the last 2 kilometre this rider was even pedalling faster and harder. Desire.

Now, towards the end of the course we saw that the peloton group got split into two group and unfortunately to some, but to me fortunately, Denis Menchov got left behind in the second half of the Peloton. And to see that chase group 2 chase down Chase group 1 while they were trying to reel in the breakaway group was F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! Or in the immortal words of my ex-co-worker "just so awesome!" Everyone had a purpose and not just to survive to the finish since there was no real danger of time elimination as in the mountain stages. One person had to give it their all to stay ahead while the rest had a mission to chase them down in order not to lose time over the classifications.

Granted, a time trial awaits the next day, the breakaway group had no GC (General Classification) contenders, and it was still the beginning of the Tour, but all those riders had something to ride for yesterday and it was not to look pretty.

One could argue it is for Overall Team lead. Nope. One would say that they need to hold onto the yellow jersey. Nope. One could even venture and say its the flats and it does not matter until the mountains. well, maybe.

All in all I am happy for the French - for having the Yellow jersey (overall lead) for tomorrow and for winning the stage. Viva la Tour!

And none of this "Take back the tour" shit advertising.

Pictured is the four man breakaway group who did the unthinkable on Stage 3.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: