Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tour de France 2008 - Day 11

Greetings Readers

Rest Day! Woo hoo! I can finally have a break from watching TV for the past 10 days. Not to mention getting my life back since I have been plastered to the television set.

And now onto my big news....

Finally. Finally. My world is complete. For now at least.

As of 2:57 PM Friday, July 11, 2008 I received my Jet C2 90 Rims from HED. cycling. I am not going to say that the past week was long, but when my friend told me that I should check on my rims I did just that. When I did that, I felt the need to track the shipping and when my rims were arriving at certain Fed Ex location points.

Oh yes, they were scheduled for Friday delivery, but I was not sure when they would arrive. And if they did arrive, would I be gone already (from work that is.) I checked the tracking website every hour, probably twice each hour.

As the day got late I was losing hope that I would get the rims I ordered. And then just as the clock struck 3:00 PM there was my friend from the mail room with a certain large cardboard box dropped off by Fed Ex.

I was shaking. I was exciting, but nervous. Yes, these were my rims, my expensive rims, but I also I was nervous on actually seeing the rims.

The box was pretty big. I grabbed some scissors and opened the box. The first thing I saw was the skewers. With the HED logo on the handle and head of the skewer. Pretty damn cool. I actually thought I would have to buy skewers since there was no mention that the skewers would be included. The only reason why I thought this was that another website you had to buy the skewer from them or buy it yourself. Granted, the price is small, but when I have already dished out 40 bones for logos and 800 bones for each rim I just did not want to pay more bones. I was already invested for 1665.00 bones and that was hard enough to justify buying these rims.

Fast Forward – Friday night I replaced the front wheel on Andrea. The back wheel I did not feel comfortable taking off the cassette so I decided to wait until Saturday morning to have the local bike shop do the pulling of the cassette.

And when it was all said and over I got home and got to working installing the back wheel.


I had some trouble with filling the tires with my hand pump. With the valve extenders the presta valve was only staying open until I stopped pumping and then would automatically shut tight and I could not pump hard/fast enough to get any more air in the tire.

Man, for the past 12 years I have never, ever owned a full size bike pump. I have gone through 3 hand pumps and then those get me to the gas station for some free air. Anyway, with the valve extenders I could not use the valve presta converter I have installed on my tube. And the gas stations is only able to fit a schrader (however you spell it) valve opening. With that knowledge I had to buy a bike pump with a presta valve opening. Isn't she pretty? At least the bike pump was on sale or else I would have had paid 49.99 for this type of bike pump.

I got the new rims on and filled with air and took Andrea for her maiden voyage on the new set of rims... (to be continued)

Ah readers - I was talking about my blog post about that biker / cyclist / commuter slapping a sticker on vehicles in Denver and perhaps the surrounding suburbs of Denver when my friend opened my eyes to a couple of things.

My friend knows that I certain issues (as most of us do), but for some person to go out of the way and make, buy and carry around stickers to slap onto vehicles has some pretty messed up issues. For someone to do that has taken some serious time and thought on what he/she is doing Perhaps causing them self grief of such a small "speed bump" in life since all this person has to do is ride by and forget about. Worry about something more important - like rent, your significant other, your life.

How come I never thought of that? I know I mentioned that it is disgrace to slap a sticker to any vehicles, but I never thought of how much effort and thought it took this person to do this. Amazing when I actually started to think about it from my friend's point of view.

My friend also brought up the point that if you see the vehicle parked/idling you are going to be at the vehicle for a second and then you are past it. So, in reality the vehicle is in your route of travel for a while, but then you are going to ride by the vehicle and that will probably take a second or two and then it is behind you. Then, my friend adds, this person actually lets this parked vehicle bother him/her so much that he/she has to actually stop, pull out peel off the adhesive (hopefully not litter the backing) and slap a sticker on the offending vehicle and then ride off. Does this person realize how much time he actually spent doing what he did on the offending vehicle? I could not answer that question. If he/she is trying to make a point then it is a small point.

As you can see I was not thinking from that point of view. So, my friend hinted that I was not that fucked up compared to what I told him/her about this certain biker / cyclist / commuter. I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but telling you my readers that there was another view I did not see,

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: