Saturday, July 05, 2008

Tour de France 2008 - Day 1

Greetings Readers

The first day of the Tour - that is - The Tour de France. And guess what?! No Prologue. I think that is perfect. None of this bullshit short time trial race on the pre race to the actual tour itself.


However, that is not I want to write about. I want to write about Versus and that commercial they are playing and references "takebackthetour." Take back the tour dot com? Is that really the advertising that you want to do for the grandest bike tour of the year?!

Hmmm. If I was the Tour de France I would tell Versus how tasteless that commercial is. I do have to agree that most of the riders that are pictured in the commercial have been found to have used "drugs", but the other half is unfounded. In the U.S. which I am assuming that Versus is based - we are proven innocent until guilty. What Versus has shown and perhaps endorsed is a guilty verdict on all those riders shown in the commercial. I am not saying that hey are not guilty, but I know that half of them half not been proven to doped.

I am all for the Tour. More so than most of you readers could imagine. Yet, to see Versus show that commercial is low I am ashamed to even look upon that commercial that was probably produced by us Americans.

But, I guess that is only the tip of the iceberg. I believe in a clean Tour de France, but I also believe in the Tour. I am not going to slam the Tour nor anyone else should there be a rider found to dope this year. What good is that going to do? Really. Should it happen then perhaps the Tour needs to enforce an automatic suspension for next year's Tour and perhaps even further. With that suspension we could find all new riders that we have never heard of riding in the Tour for the first time, ever.

In essence that would be a good thing. We viewers have new faces and also the probability of a new talent that never have the chance to ride the Tour have their chance to ride. I have no clue how long the list is to get into the Tour. I do not know if riders from the previous year get an automatic in for the next year due to past good riding in the Tour. If that is may be the case then the waiting list to get into the Tour is that much more shorter.

What is sad to see is Phil dwell on a clean and exciting Tour. Exciting it will be. Regardless if there is doping. Phil is just pissed off that he was embarrassed on TV that the riders he chose last year turned out to dope and lied. So what - fucking be a man Phil. No one is perfect and Phil is one to talk about being all that.

Though all this is my opinion and I have decided to share this information with you on the start of the Tour de France. I will be watching, I will have to put up with Bob's stupid antics and hand gestures when he talks. I have to put up with Phil and Paul's "Something Special." I am going to have to put up with Phil's every chance to talk and reference L.A. when he can. I am going to have to put up with that stupid yellow jersey contest they have among themselves. I typed this post on the fly so there is no thorough research, but I believe in every word I have stated.

I will though enjoy getting up early every day when there is a stage race. I guess the big day to look forward to is Day 6 - Thursday, I think. That is when we will get the first taste of some mountains on the course route.

Yippee - no fucking time bonuses for finishing first through third!

Btw - I joined a fantasy Tour de France league. I guess we will see how that plays out.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: