Monday, July 14, 2008

Tour de France 2008 - Day 10



Greetings Readers

Well, today is two "HC" category climbs and they are the Col de Tourmalet and Hautacam...

Then, on a side note.

I guess I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing the next “new” Batman movie that has the “new” Joker, played by the late Heath Ledger.

Flashback to 4 years ago, I assume – I had no desire to see the “new” Batman movie with Christian Bale portraying Bruce Wayne / Batman. I scoffed at the Bat Mobile that I saw in my GQ or Esquire magazine. The picture was I saw and showed my ex-co-worker we agreed that is not the Bat mobile – well, not to true comic book lore. Though, the magazine indicated that the vehicle worked – ran, turn, drove and operated just like every other motor vehicle.

I vaguely remember the trailers for the Batman Begins movie. I remember the scenery shots of what looked like Tibet. I remember Christian Bale fighting/falling down on some log posts. That’s really about all.

The movie opened and I had no desire to see the movie – Batman Begins.

In the past year – I saw the movie posters of the next movie for Batman in the movie theatre. If I remember correctly, I think it was an out of focus picture of the “new” joker with a his finger in the air and the slogan “Why so Serious?” in red lipstick. My first impression – uh-oh. (hey readers, I remembered right!)

Blasphemy. In my view, there is no other vision of Tim Burton’s two Batman movies with Michael Keaton. In addition, there was no other person that could play the Joker in the new Batman Franchise. I saw and still see Jack. No one in my view can match Jack’ performance of the Joker. Though, it was a bit over the top. Goofy, but that may be due to the writing of the Joker for Jack’s role. I don’t know. There was nothing different for Tim Burton’s Batman that I could see from previous films he directed.

2008 – I remember seeing and paying more attention the movie trailer that was released with more supposed footage of the next Batman movie. Again, I am drawing from memory, but I think we heard the Joker talking and then I remember hearing his laugh and then him standing in the middle of the street at night with a machine gun with the camera’s view low to the ground shooting the Joker from street level to seeing the Joker looking larger than life. And the make up and hairstyle, or their lack of.

Yet, the Joker’s laugh. By this time I knew it was Heath Ledger playing the role of the Joker. Yet, I would not even expect that sort of laugh from Heath. At all. His voice to me in the movies I have seen, if I can remember, Heath has a deep voice.

Yet, in the Movie trailers his voice as the Joker was – no way – that can not be his voice. His voice. His make-up. The look. And the laugh.

I was starting to doubt. Doubt my stubbornness. I started to doubt my faithfulness to Tim’s Burton’s view of Batman. I did not have a clue who the director of the new Batman Franchise was/is. I never wanted to know. I never wanted to rent the movie once it was released to DVD.

Two months ago – FX was showing the movie on their network what it seemed to me every week. I changed the channel when I ran across the movie showing. Then one night, I do not know how I decided, but I decided to watch the “new” Batman franchise with Christian Bale.

Batman Begins was a real drama movie and not just a cartoon-y movie that I had thought it was going to be. The music’s score, the movie cinematography and the few actors I have come to admire were in the movie. By the time the movie ended I was surprised. It was a pretty darn good movie. And when I saw the Joker card at the end of the movie – all the dots were connected.

One month ago – I saw another trailer and it showed more scenes of Heath as the Joker and his voice and the drama of the movie it holds for the movie watchers this summer. His voice and laugh brought back memories; that’s when I started to bend my views of Jack’s version of the Joker. Then, in the trailer, I remember the Joker appearing to be in a jail cell and then he claps his hands together. I also remember the Joker sticking his head out the window a police cruiser in the city at dusk/dawn looking but not looking then closing his eyes and tilts his head to the sky. I wanted to know more about the Joker in the next Batman movie.

Present – Here I am on the eve of the “Dark Knight.” I am going to see this movie this weekend, but it is not because of the hype that I have been hearing about the Heath’s role of the Joker. I know nothing. I have been keeping myself from reading or listening to any views, reviews, opinions and any other TV clips, besides the trailers showing on TV.

The Joker’s voice, the laughter, the make up and the shot of the Joker operating a rocket launcher in the movie trailer was mesmerizing. I really could care less about Batman, but I wanted to know about the Joker. Nothing more.

I know the movie theatre is going to be packed. Yet, I will go see and then I will probably see once more when every one has scene the movie and I can really watch the movie without a lot of people just laughing at every scene the Joker might have.

I heard that the same director directed this next film and if he is staying true to form this movie will be a drama and a real serious movie as opposed to a comedy. A few laughs here and there, but I bet the average movie watcher will not see the movie as it truly was meant to be, and just laugh at every moment the Joker may be in the movie.

Next week I will tell you my experience and thoughts of the movie.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: