Monday, December 11, 2006

The Happiest Guy...I ever knew...

Greetings People

I guess the title of this blog says it all. I would almost quote the Depeche Mode's song "The Happiest Girl. I ever knew...", but I am not a goil, I'm a guy.

Yesterday, I had another follow up to my eyes and I got the best, er bestest, news I have heard in a long time. I am to wear contacts once more! Oh my gosh. I could not believe it. Granted, me and my eye doctor have to monitor for the next two weeks and make sure that my issues do not start up once more.

As of 12:15 PM yesterday afternoon I was wearing contacts again and I celebrated by buying another computer game yesterday.

So, this morning, roughly 57 days later I picked up my Oakleys off my bathroom counter, washed and dried them off and then put them on for the first time in almost two months. I was so myself and I think I will be more and more later today. I do not have to worry about my vision being impaired partly, nor do I have to worry about pushing my eyeglasses back up on my face.

I, I.... was shaking so badly after putting in the first contact yesterday I could not put in the other side. I had to have my doctor do it for me. Shaking with joy. And not because lack of caffeine. Now, I am walking around with a smile on my face like I just had sex. Yes, that is happiness for me.

I even made the effort to go for a ride yesterday and I was so confident, since I did not have my eye glasses. Whereas, I have not been riding since I have been wearing my eyeglasses. The ride felt so good. No, I did not put my Oakleys on yesterday - I was still so happy and filled with glee that I did not even bother going home to get the Oakleys. I even cleaned my other 6 Oakley lens so I can start using those, since I will be wearing my Oakleys full-time.

Now, switching gears, the Ironman Hawaii that was on t.v. this weekend. The show was good, but it lacked something and I think it was the mood of the music that was wrong. The music and format has been changing for the past two years from the ominous mood music they used. Now, the show has "beat" music and "pick me up" music, which is fine, but the Ironman for us watchers is whether or not they finish, not whether they come in first or not. Yes, it is a race, but in the years of the t.v showings it is about finishing the Ironman and may be not finishing.


I did not cry or tear up through out the show, but I did when the Team Hoyt did not make the cut-off time. We faithful watchers know that there time was up a couple of years ago, but father time has come and taken the toll on Team Hoyt. I did not tear up for that moment, but did thinking about what has transpired in the past 7 years for them.

The last one that I really shed some tears on was the blind guy being lead, by a string, by his guide/friend. The blind guy had a number, his guide did not. This guide did the Ironman Hawaii for this blind guy, probably his friend. However, the guide did not have a number nor did the Ironman Hawaii issue him a number. Fair is fair, but I cried for the guide, because this guy finished the Ironman and he got no recognition of any sort, that I could see. That is dedication my friends! That is loyalty and more importantly, that is what you would, should do, for someone who needs help. Put yourself out for someone who needs it more. That is complete opposite of being selfish and with me being me that is the ultimate sacrifice for yourself in competing. Even the ABC tv replay had no other in depth info was told about this guide.

In closing, with the Ironman Hawaii 2006 I am glad that Norman Stadler won once more. I am also glad he did not fucking meltdown like he did from last year. I have had a meltdown like that before and he acted the same way I did. Natache Baadman had a hard time this year, but I am glad to see her smile as she was coming down the Queen K. There was nothing about Lori, except in the very beginning of the swim. Her smile is also very contagious for me. The stories were okay, but nothing compelling for me to get really emotional about. The Blazeman, I am glad I was able to follow him last year and to see someone remember him this year.

Alright folks, once more I have taken some time from your life and I thank you for sitting a spell with me for a bit.

P.S. I am glad that the "Models" won the Amazing Race. I wished the "sistas" would of, but I knew, yes knew, from the start that they had no chance to make a run for first place

P.S.S. The Nip / Tuck finale is the Tuesday. I am hoping for a good one and I do hope we get to see another season. Rumor mill - Joely will not be back, per one of the tabloids I saw in the grocery store. Nip / Tuck for me interesting and enjoyable.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: