Tuesday, December 15, 2015

...I'd rather be a hammer than a nail...

Greetings Readers

As you know Readers I have a strong connection to music and I would have to say that I found another beloved song from before my time on Mother Earth

I finally got to see "Wild" and I was very impressed and emotionally attached in a sense.  I did not get to see the movie in the theater, but oh so wanted.  I wish I did.  Really.



In no way have I done what Cheryl did in life, but what I felt was probably what I felt when I did the 24 hours of Boulder.  She did the PCT and I did the 24 hours of Boulder.  I have written about this event twice, I think, and I want to say that when Cheryl reached the Bridge of the Gods is when I saw the sunrise of my final lap in the 24 hours of Boulder.  I knew that this was the last lap that I could complete within the time limit, but I could have gone another.  Anyway, in that moment when I saw the sunrise in the East coming over the Dam - it was something incredible-the colors, the feelings, reflecting on the past 21 hours, the pain, the relief, the end.  I guess when I saw "Wild" and put the music of El Condor Pasa (If I could) - that is the definitive music of that moment.  And forever will be now. 

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

Away, I'd rather sail away
Like a swan that's here and gone
A man gets tied up to the ground
He gives the world it's saddest sound
Its saddest sound

I'd rather be a forest than a street
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

I guess the part that really gets to me is... "A man gets tied up to the ground He gives the world it's saddest sound..."  I gave a lot myself during this event.  No doubt.  I do not wonder what Cheryl gave during her journey on the PCT, but I am sure that she surely did give it everything she could - she surely would.

I even still remember that one woman offering to walk with me toward the finish line - just a small loop, but nevertheless the offer was truly sad for me and I did get emotional when I heard her say that to me.  I was a hurting, beat, but not down for the count.  That last lap did me in, yet to this day I can still say that I did 57.12 miles in 21 hours.  Who else in the fuck can say that beside the elite few ultra runners on Mother Earth.  Running two fucking marathons in 21 hours.  I can also remember me in the early morning getting those "hand warmers" from that one guy at the half way point on the 24 hours of Boulder.  I swear I did not even think about even getting some of those, but when I put in my gloves - wow - I did tear up after that as well.

Anyway, "Wild" was a very interesting movie and yes I could relate in my own sort of way.  When you do something of what Cheryl did as well as I did - you think, you reflect, your mind is open.  Being on a journey and looking, perhaps watching, others around you on your journey.  Humans are kind believe it or not- even an asshole like me have a moment on humility.

Until now, I think I understand...

With utmost sincerity

Daryl Charley
The Veteran 24 Hours of Boulder Runner

No comments: