Saturday, November 05, 2011

"I am Invincible"

Greetings Readers

It was only a matter of time.

Yet I did not think that it would happen this quickly.

I was actually happy when I got off work. The sun was still shining; the day’s warmth was still in the air. I was riding Lily and was riding home.

I was approaching my turnoff and I was going pretty fast. Yet, I was on my mountain bike – I had the big, fat tires as opposed to any of my road bikes. This meant that I have more surface area contact with the road. More importantly, I have some knobby traction. Bottom line I can take that corner at that speed I was going at. There was some gravel as well as some water from the melting snow where I was turning, but did not give it a second thought.

I should have.

Man oh man I went down like a clown. Fuck me. One second I was making that turn. The next four seconds I was sliding across the road with Lily. I held onto the handlebars as well as stayed with the bike. There was a car vehicle coming, but since it was getting ready to stop it managed to stop before coming upon me.

I got up gingerly, but knew I did some damage to myself. Some road rash as well as bruise marks were going to come. Oh yeah, my ego got bruised also. I guess Mother Earth missed me - I kissed her long and hard.

Oh the blog title - That was from the James Bond Movie Goldeneye said by Boris. I thought I was invincible too. And somehow I thought of that line

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: