Monday, January 30, 2012

Star Wars - The Phantom Menace in 3-D


Greetings Readers

I really do not give a shit about 3-D movies. First and foremost – I am not interested in paying more money than the average non 3-D movie to see a movie in 3-D.

Granted, I did see Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 in 3-D and I will have to admit – it was amazing! I was impressed since this was my first 3-D movie in a couple of decades. No colored lens – the glasses were like real glasses – clear lens and plastic frames.

What I mean is that I grew up as child in the eighties when 3-D meant blue and red paper glasses and red/blue flimsy clear paper lens. If I remember correctly the movies that I remember seeing were Jaws 3-D, Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D, Treasure of the Four Crowns (or something close to that movie title), and… well, I know there is one more that I remember seeing. It was 3-D, but only for that time in history. Matter of fact – I have a couple of comics that are in 3-D also – meaning that you have to use those blue and red glasses.

Anyway, 3-D these days. There are a slew of them – I heard all, but a couple were good. Other films I heard, for example, Clash of the Titans 3-D, was simply awful 3-D. I would not know since I do not want to pay 15.00 dollars. Matter of fact, I have a problem paying 8.00 dollars or so for a regular movie. That is just me.

Hence, that is why I really do not post any more movie reviews on my blog on the ones that I go see in the movie theatres. So, I think I have been seeing about one movie a year. Then, about two years ago there was Tuesday super saver, but eventually that changed to $ 5.00 Sundays. Even with Sundays being cheap I have yet to go on a Sunday.

The main reason – Who in the fuck wants to see a re-make? Not me. For reals. I just don’t get it. Why make a remake? And believe me Readers there are a lot more than you think have been made. Oh, I better stick to the main topic. I may discuss/rant about this another time…

So, guess what – Star Wars I – The Phantom Menace has been re-done in 3-D and is scheduled for release next month. I am a Star Wars fan, but not of the prequels. Anyway, 3-D for that movie? I don’t know. Yes, George is going to clean up on revenue on this movie. Matter of fact, I can almost predict that movie theatres are going to up the price for this just because they can and the hard core people will pay to see.

Me? Most likely, but not sure. I will need to re-watch the movie to see what would be “3-D” worthy. Sure, the pod racing would be one scene that would be… in the words of my ex-co-worker - awesome in 3-D. I do not know about the light saber scenes – perhaps – but I cannot see it just wow-ing me over in 3-D.

Overall, if I go I am going to have to listen to Jar-Jar again, the lousy acting of Natalie Portman, the Gungan and Battle droids doing digital battle and other things which make the movie just too long to watch again. George, sorry Readers I am referring to George Lucas when using his first name, had a good idea but he overwhelms the audience with too much digital “stuff” in the movie.

The movie wasn’t all bad – I did like the light saber battle at the end where they are battling on the catwalks from a distance. And who doesn’t like “The Duel of the Fates."


P.S. I saw a trailer for Titanic coming soon in 3-D. Since I did not see Avatar in 3-D by James Cameron I may have to see this movie by James Cameron. Are 3-D movies made by the same company? I don't know. I know it will not be like Avatar since that was shot with 3-D cameras, but if the raves about Avatar's 3-D and perhaps the same company that did that 3-D may have did a good job doing Titanic in 3-D. Yes, I would see this in 3-D - yet I would have to hear "Jack!" and come to think about it this may be less worthy of being done in 3-D. Sure, some of the ship's angles and perhaps sinking, but other than that I can not see what else would be worthy of 3-D. hah hah.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: